25 September 2021

MY BACK CATALOGUE part 3

A look back at recordings I made over the last 40+ years. 

Part 3: THE CELLARTAPE  cassette (no label) 1980. 

Although my contract with VFM was for 3 albums the third didn’t materialise. I can’t remember why, I think we just didn’t get round to it. Instead I did this humble, self-produced live album. I think the title came first and if I could have found a cellar I would have used it but I couldn’t so it was recorded upstairs at the 33 Guildford St. Arts Centre in Luton using a ‘binaural head’.

That was a piece of technology which never caught on—a polystyrene head with stereo mics where the ears should be to duplicate what you would naturally hear. 

The recording was absolutely live with an audience made up largely from the Luton ‘Dangerous Pig’ Folk Club and we did the minimum of editing, just took out enough waffle to balance the two sides. Very few were made and it wasn’t distributed or reviewed or anything, just sold at gigs so it’s probably very rare. Anyone got one? It might be priceless







TITLES (which are a good representation of what my typical club set would have been around then)

Cottage on the Moor

False Lamkin

Van Diemen’s Land

The Pressgang

The Fair Maid Who Couldn’t Learn Her ABC

Allen Water

Poor But Honest

Marrowbones

The Outlandish Knight

Rosemary Lane

The Primrose (tune)

The Falcon Hath Born My Make Away

The Jovial Beggar

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment